Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Beach

Hello and a very very good week to everyone out there! Anyone feeling as good as I feel today? Why am I sounding so upbeat? Well maybe because I just got back from a very hearty walk along the Koko beach in Accra, Ghana. Even more interestingly, I walked up to the end of the beach where lots of fishermen and their boats were berthed. It wasn’t that it was the end of the beach but that there was a pool separating a part of the beach from the other. Within that cove was a mass of very colourful boats bearing an array of insignia extolling God’s or Allah’s merciful ways, probably in supplication to avert any impending disaster while fishing out there in the sea. The other side of the cove was bustling with a mob of excited women haggling over the prices and perhaps the availability of fish. The fishermen poured out the slippery silvery fish from baskets into the waiting basins and buckets the eager women were carrying. It’s hard to imagine that I actually came here to work. The part I am not exactly looking forward to is the part where I have to go for training to be a martial arts expert. I’m supposed to be a round house kicking villain who is almost psychopathic in his mercilessness.

It is half past two in the afternoon, about three hours since I began this piece; quite a lot of things have happened. Almost lost my temper with someone on set but I managed to calm myself down and talk civilly to her; just like I promised Frieda I would. When the director called me a few minutes afterwards, saying the lady in question had called him in tears, I told him I felt no remorse for what I said. I have little patience with people who like to take others for fools just because they are pleasant and accommodating. Now it’s afternoon and I’m getting drowsy and lethargic. My problem right now is how I am going to send this post out as there is no internet in the hotel. I did hear there’s a cafĂ© up the road so I’m going to trudge there along the beach hoping to pass by bikini clad ladies in the scorching sun, ask them for directions, fall into chat mode with them, ask them if they know any hot local night spots and if they’ll graciously guide a helpless stranger so he doesn’t get lost and then forget to send this post. The point I’m trying to make is for you guys to pray I don’t meet anyone at all. Have a great week everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Hi. This is Marge. You did it!!!! and you know what I mean. Lol. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey....coco beach's and infact the pleasant feeling of nature and Gods handy work's amazing...there's one place i can make u try out in yr leisure time(if u have any) u wld luv it there...specially in the evenings...its where i go to most nights when i want to kuul out and enjoy the silence and the rumbling waves simmering my thoughts....
    But u never try oooo...u shd linkup with me ASAP
    AKWAABA(DATS LIKE WELCOME)

    ReplyDelete
  3. guess u eventually didnt meet anyone. kpele ooo.

    Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess u didnt meet anyone at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi K, I am feeling the upbeat too, we longer have a national team, lol. Back again in Ghana? Hmmmh have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time in Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh beach Kalu, the beautiful sight, the soothing and breathtaking view. Love taking a walk on the soft sand too. I think my next beach visit is long overdue, lol. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy sunday to you and nice post!

    ReplyDelete